It’s BBQ season here in Montreal. We have had 2 weeks of the most gorgeous vacation weather – sunshine, warmth and no humidity. Thank goodness for that, since my bangs don’t survive in a humid or rainy climate (they are quite temperamental!)
Seeing as how I am now on holiday, anytime someone says “we’re having a BBQ” I jump at the occasion to go! Obviously I don’t want to show up empty handed, so when it’s on short notice you gotta make do with what you got! This bean salad is one of those recipes that you throw in what you have in your fridge, but it looks great and tastes yummy too! I brought this over, along with jerk chicken and a mango salsa to a friends BBQ the other night and it was really well received (the host even took the leftovers for lunch the next day!)
Blackbean and Chickpea Salad
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 green onions, sliced (white and green parts)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, slices in half)
- 2 bell peppers, variety of colors – chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 1 tsp grated lime rind
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) lime juice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- In large bowl, toss together black beans, chickpeas, onions, tomatoes, peppers and avocado.
- In small bowl, whisk together lime rind and juice, oil, jalapeno pepper, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour over bean mixture and toss to coat.
Adapted from Canadian Living
Powered by Facebook Comments